Chambakka Achaar Recipe / Pickled Water Rose Apple
Chambakka – 250gm
Chilly powder – 3 tbsp
Asafoetida / Hing / Perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds / menthayam / uluba – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 4 tbsp
Mustard seeds / kaduku – 1/4 tsp
A few curry leaves
Salt to taste
How Its Made:
1. Wash the rose apples thoroughly. Cut into halves, de-seed and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds pop, add the fenugreek seeds and fry lightly until fragrant and the colour starts to change. (Make sure you don’t over do this otherwise the pickle will turn too bitter. )
3. Add the rose apples next with some salt. Saute lightly until the colour starts to lighten and its cooked more than half way through (about 7-10 mins).
4. To this, add the chilly powder, hing, turmeric powder and the curry leaves and mix well, frying lightly for another 5 mins or so on low heat.
5. Store in a clean, dry jar and use after 2 days for best results.
This pickle doesn’t keep for too long so refrigerate within 4 days and use within 2 weeks.